Treasure believes that today’s world is inflicting on us unsafe living just by the sounds that we hear on a day-to-day basis. People are suffering anxiety, stress and hearing loss, sleep disturbance and perhaps even premature death. He has some ideas for dealing with this problem in a way that will enhance our health.
Why you should listen:
Julian Treasure is the chair of the Sound Agency, a firm that advises worldwide businesses — offices, retailers, hotels — on how to use sound. He asks us to pay attention to the sounds that surround us. How do they make us feel: productive, stressed, energized, acquisitive?
Who is he:
In the early 1980s, Treasure was the drummer for the Fall-influenced band Transmitters. Treasure is the author of the book Sound Business and keeps a blog by the same name that ruminates on aural matters. He says birdsong is a sound which most people find reassuring. There is a reason for that. Over hundreds of thousands of years we’ve learned that when the birds are singing, things are safe. It’s when they stop you need to be worried.
- What do the Hindus say about sound?
- From the least sound we can perceive to the loudest is A) 10 million times greater, B) 1 billion times greater, C) 1 trillion times greater or D) 10 trillion times greater.
- According to Treasure there are two different types of listening ___________,often used by men, and __________, often preferred by women.
- What is schizophonia?
- What is NIHD? Who seems to be most affected?
- Treasure says that we should seek out WWB. What do these initials stand for?